I feel fortunate that winters in North Carolina are mild. Yet, I am a warm weather girl so it can be hard for me to keep my mood and attitude on the happy side when it’s cold outside.
Sadly, it has taking me a few years to recognize my mood difference during winter and then it took me a few more to figure out how to get out of the cold weather funk.
Here are 8 ways that I have found that help me keep a smile on my face and happiness in my heart when the temperatures start dropping.
- Get outside – Even if it’s just for 10 minutes, the Vitamin D will do your attitude wonders. If you just can’t get outside, at least open the blinds and pull back the drapes. Let in the sunshine!
- Place green and floral plants in central places of your home. You do not have to go expensive here. I find Carnations and Baby’s Breath are not too costly. Or if you have a “green thumb” go with live plants.
- Exercise, Walk, Run – Even if you have to do these activities inside, getting your move on will help boost those feel good endorphins!
- Sing and dance around the house – Again this will get your blood moving in a fun way. Plus, if you have kids they will love it. My kids and I like to do this as we get dinner ready. It always brings about many giggles and crazy dance moves.
- Try a new restaurant – I love doing this as a date with my hubby or with a group of friends. I find I enjoy this more when the kiddos are at grandma and pawpaw’s. 😀
- Embrace the cold – Bundle up and go hiking, sledding or ice skating. You may be starting to see a pattern here. Physical activity can help improve your mood.
- Go shopping for a new bathing suit or spring outfit. These items are typically filling stores by mid to late January. The excitement of getting to wear it soon will make you smile (it does for me). 😉
- Laugh often – Simply put, “If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.” – Jimmy Buffett
I hope you find that some of these suggestions work for you too. Please let us know of any other ideas that can be added to this list. I look forward to hearing from you.
By the way warm weather fans, there are only 58 days left until Spring!
Plaid, Pearls and Toddler stains